fear or faith

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Baseball Fever




If I had to pick a favorite game to play and watch, it must be BASEBALL!! I guess it is because I love everything about it. From the player's point of view, I started playing baseball in first grade and did not quit until college. I love the feel of starring at the pitcher,guessing what pitch he will throw next, and then putting the ball ,with the "sweet" spot of the bat, into the right field gap (I am lefty). That kind of hit is almost as good as hitting a homer. And then when you get to "field" the ball and dive in the dirt in the infield, or in the outfield, and actually catch the ball is a great feeling of satisfaction too. A great day at the ballpark with the smell of bubblegum, seeds (you know what these are if you have played before), and grilled hotdogs is a good day!

And then from the spectator point of view, can almost be as exciting, especially in a big league park. A couple of weeks ago, my family and I went to Busch stadium and watched the Cards and the Padres play (the game that Pujols hit a bomb which landed in "Big Mac" land). Man, what a game! The first 4 or so innings was a bit boring. Not much happened except when the Bird mascot was shooting shirts to the upper deck with a huge sling shot. And then the game took a turn and excitement was in the air. The cards started hitting and then the blast by Pujols.

This was really a great game! But as my wife and I were sitting in the stands, during the "boring" part, we talked about how we were still having a great time. The smell of peanuts and hotdogs in the air (this does not include the big guy next to us who was downing beer like a fish.) Nonetheless, we watched the team, listened to the announcer, and saw people kiss each other on the "mega screen". And the seventh inning stretch came. Everyone in the stadium sang together "take me out to the ballgame" (except for the drunk guy next to us). But all in all, it was a great experience.

Let me encourage you to take some time away from your "usual" schedule and go to the ballgame. It may not be Busch stadium but it can be the local baseball team next to you. Wherever it may be, enjoy the Great American pastime while you can.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristi Tokko said...

I love baseball too, so I thoroughly enjoyed your post! Cheer hard for the Cards; they need it!

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home